A native northern Nevadan, Therese Shanks focuses primarily on appellate practice and civil litigation. With a mother and a husband who are both business owners in the community, Therese understands the pressures inherent in owning and operating a business. Being able to alleviate some of that stress by assisting her loved ones’ with their legal issues is one of her favorite things about being at attorney. Since joining the firm in 2013, Therese has successfully handled hundreds of legal issues for local business owners.
Therese began her legal career as a law clerk at the Nevada Supreme Court. Her time at the Court fueled her passion for appellate law. She has extensive experience in briefing appeals, has orally argued before the Nevada Supreme Court, and is admitted to practice before all Nevada state appellate courts, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and the United States Supreme Court. As an appellate lawyer, Therese enjoys having the ability to shape and create new law which favors her clients’ needs.
When not at work, Therese enjoys spending time with her husband and her two young daughters. Being a working mom is like being the ringleader of a goat rodeo, but she would not have it any other way.
- Appellate Practice
- Business Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Employment Law
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law, 2012
- University of Nevada, 2008
- Nevada, 2012
- United States District Court, District of Nevada, 2013
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2017
- United States Supreme Court, 2017
- Abarra v. State of Nevada,131 Nev., Adv. Op. 3, 342 P.3d 994 (Nev. 2015)
Memberships & Achievements:
- Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2016-2017
- Nevada’s Legal Elite, 2015
- Northern Nevada Women’s Lawyers
- American Inns of Court, Bruce R. Thompson Chapter
- Washoe County Bar Association
- Legal Aid Center of Southern Nevada Pro Bono Project, 50 Hours Club, 2014, 2016